Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled commercial Absinthe in early 19th century in Pontarlier, France, employed a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs for instance wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and nutmeg absinthe online. Wine is the traditional base for Absinthe but some distillers use other types of alcohol.
If you look for Absinthe recipes online, you will notice that many of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How would you Make Absinthe in your own home?
Although some recipes on the internet are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without a license is illegal in several countries and also you require the right equipment and you also need to find out what you’re doing. So, are there any other ways of making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This usually involves steeping herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for several days or possibly a few weeks inside the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Only distillation will give you a real Absinthe, this will just provide you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe Kit – Almost all of the kits available online, much like the ones from Green Devil, are only steeping kits. They may be easier than obtaining and preparing your personal herbs but you are merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and coming up with a flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much easier and better approach to make Absinthe at home. AbsintheKit.com create essences for the Absinthe industry and the essences are produced by distilling conventional Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is completed for you and all you have to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you’ve got a true Absinthe drink.
The essences can be found in four distinct varieties:-
– Classic Green Essence to create a vintage “verte” Absinthe with a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to create a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This too includes a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to create Absinthe having a twist. This essence is likely to make a yellow-orange colored Absinthe with a natural orange flavor and also a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence will make an Absinthe with a higher thujone content (55mg) and also a more bitter wormwood taste.
You can buy a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to produce one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or get a kit for $29 to make 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic measure and 14 artistic bottle labels. All you have to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Just remember that the alcohol content of your Absinthe will depend on your alcohol base. Be cautious, drink Absinthe in moderation because it is a significantly more powerful beverage than other spirits as well as fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or perhaps a neutral alcohol which lacks a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.