Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled commercial Absinthe in early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, utilized a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany as well as nutmeg. Wine is the conventional base for Absinthe but a majority of distillers use other types of alcohol.
If you search for Absinthe recipes online, you will notice that a lot of them include steeping blends of herbs in liquor like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How would you Produce Absinthe at home?
Although some recipes on the web are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without a license is illegal in lots of countries and also you have to have the right equipment and also you need to find out what you are doing. So, are there any other methods for making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This usually involves steeping herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a while or even a few weeks inside the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Only distillation can provide a genuine Absinthe, this will just give you an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe Kit – Almost all of the kits available online, much like the ones from Green Devil, are simply steeping kits. They may be easier than discovering and preparing your own herbs but you’re merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and making a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much easier and better way to make Absinthe from home. AbsintheKit.com create essences for the Absinthe industry and the essences are made by distilling standard Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is done for you and all you need to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you’ve got a true Absinthe drink.
The essences can be found in four distinct varieties:-
– Classic Green Essence to create a classic “verte” Absinthe having a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to make a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This also includes a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to produce Absinthe which has a twist. This essence is likely to make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe which has a natural orange flavor and a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence can make an Absinthe with a higher thujone content (55mg) and a more bitter wormwood flavor.
You can either get a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to create one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or obtain a kit for $29 to create 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic measure and 14 creative bottle labels. All that you should supply is the neutral alcohol base. Bare in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe depends on your alcohol base. Be careful, drink Absinthe moderately because it’s a significantly more powerful beverage than other spirits as well as fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or a neutral alcohol which does not have a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.