How to drink Absinthe properly is the issue many people have if they have managed to acquire a bottle of the Green Fairy. In La Belle Epoque in France every person knew how to serve and drink Absinthe, it was part of the
way of life and was even more common than wine.
The information of how to drink Absinthe was lost until recent years due to ban on Absinthe in the majority of countries for many decades. In the United States it was restricted in 1912 and Absinthes for example the “Lucid” brand have only just gone available for sale in the US in 2007.
How To Drink Absinthe While using the Standard “Ritual”
This is the classic technique for preparing Absinthe used in pre ban times in the nineteenth century in France and Switzerland. There’s an art to using this approach and it is based on using a steady hand.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe in to an Absinthe glass or big glass.
– Rest a slotted Absinthe spoon over the top of the glass and put a cube of sugar over the spoon.
– Carefully drip iced water on the sugar so that the sugar dissolves and drips throughout the slots in the Absinthe. Either work with an Absinthe fountain or dripper to regulate the dripping or use a very steady hand to pour the water from a carafe.
– Watch the Absinthe louche (turn cloudy) as the water mixes to the alcohol.
– Take pleasure in your Absinthe.
How To Drink Absinthe While using the Contemporary Bohemian or Czech Method
This is a more modern method which is a bit of fun and is scorned by a lot of Absinthe drinkers. It is often used with cheaper Czech Absinthes and Absinthes which have a reduced alcohol content. Care should be taken when setting alcohol alight.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe directly into an Absinthe glass.
– Saturate the sugar cube within the Absinthe after which place on an Absinthe spoon resting on the rim of the glass.
– Using a lighter or match, set the sugar on fire and view it as it caramelizes , melts and drips to the Absinthe, it may set the Absinthe on fire too.
– Gradually pour iced water to the Absinthe to extinguish the flames and also to make the Absinthe louche.
– Drink your Absinthe.
Proportions of water to Absinthe rely on taste but a ratio which can be between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe is the recommended dilution.
How To Drink Absinthe in Cocktails
Ernest Hemingway famously created “Death in the Afternoon” – a cocktail of Absinthe together with champagne, but there are several other cocktail recipes for Absinthe. You do need to take into account that Absinthe is a very strong Alcoholic beverage and is somewhere around twice the strength of other spirits like vodka and whisky.
Absinthe and Vodka – Combine 3 parts Absinthe with one part good quality vodka within an iced glass (out of the freezer) and garnish using a sprig of mint.
Absinthe Explosion – Mix 3 parts Tequila, 4 parts vodka, 3 parts whisky and 7 parts Absinthe. Put ice and stir.
Absinthe Bloody Mary – Put 1 shot of Absinthe in a cocktail glass with ice and top up with tomato juice. Include a dash of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce and season with salt and pepper.
There are lots of alternative methods of how to drink Absinthe and you can even invent your individual cocktails.